Thursday, June 28, 2012

Taste by Kate Evangelista



Phoenix McKay has bounced around when it comes to schools. It figures that once she finds a school she actually like she may have to leave. She broke the ONE rule of the Barinkoff Academy, no students allowed on campus after curfew. Granted, she broke that rule on accident but Phoenix is so stunned by what she discovers that even though she got away with it the first time, she risks expulsion by breaking curfew a second time. How could she know that the things she witnessed and the people she encountered would drastically change her life?

I loved this book, it is a page turner and I had a hard time putting it down. I found that the story line was imaginative and the history behind the flesh eaters was a refreshing change of pace from those of similar 'creatures'. The characters were very well written and easy to relate to. The pacing of the story was perfect, there were no lags or dull moments. The romance aspect of the story was creatively handled and not overdone. The only thing I wasn't overly fond of was Phoenix's reaction to being separated from Demitri. Phoenix is introduced as a strong-willed, independent girl/woman who, in my opinion kind of turns into a moody pile of mush. Then again, her experiences through the book change her and maybe that is exactly how the author wanted to portray her, as a woman who finally lets someone in. I really liked both Demitri and Luka and had a hard time deciding whose 'team' to be on. To be honest I still don't think I've come to a decision. Phoenix's character on the other hand I wanted to punch several different times. My first opinion of her was spoiled rotten rich girl but my opinion changed somewhat as the story developed.

I like that the title not only refers to what the flesh eaters do, but that Phoenix is able to get a 'taste' of what it's like to live a different life. Added bonus, the cover is gorgeous!

I think that Kate Evangelista did a tremendous job with Taste and I'm eagerly awaiting her next releases! 

My Rating: 4.5/5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment